- Address: Via del Golf, 7, 17033 Garlenda SV ( ITALY )
- Website: www.garlendagolf.it
- Infoline: +39 0182 58 00 12
WELCOME TO GARLENDA
Nestled in quite green woods, orchards, olives and vineyards for Rossese and Pigato, Garlenda stands where Val Lerrone opens in Piana of Albenga. It is one of the most elegant resorts and quiet of the Riviera, close to the sea and rich of cultural and sports attractions.
The first news about Garlenda date back to the High Middle Ages, when it became part of the Marquis of Albenga.
In 1091 the Marquis and then Garlenda, came under the jurisdiction of Clavesana family, descendants of Boniface del Vasto.
But the family Clavesana failed to fully dominate the marquis and it ended up the in 1127 Albenga and Marquis were constituted as an autonomous territory.
On 13th April 1153 the Bishop of Albenga named Anselmo of Quaranta – founder of Della Lengueglia family – the task to collect the tithes in many villages of the Ponente including its Garlenda.
In 1280, his heirs James and Bonifacio divided their father’s feud in two different possessions or noble branches: the Maremo and the Garlenda.
Bonifacio became Garlenda lord tightening more friendly relations with Genoa and its Republic.
In the sixteenth century financial crisis and ill-management of the feuds caused the villages to begin a rebellion against their feudal lords; Also in the Fall of 1543 the town of Garlenda raised against the Della Lengueglia, triggering a long period of political instability.
At the end of the sixteenth century, the feud was finally legitimately assigned to Violante Lengueglia Della Costa.
WHAT TO SEE IN GARLENDA:
Garlenda is town with different characteristics compared to the others laying behind the Albenga plain.
It doesn’t have a real historical center, except for the group of houses around the parish, but the settlement is divided into small groups on the hills of the valley, which at this point begins to open up like a fan.
Once the domains were over as the wars belonging to the past history, the charm of Garland echoes in its landscape, gentle hills covered in lush vegetation, scattered houses in an intense green fields, with the eyes that enjoy a bit of rest in these colors.
The parish of the Nativity is an interesting seventeenth-century building with an octagonal dome and a bell tower shaped with baroque forms.
The inside is full of inlaid marble, there is also a seventeenth-century painting attributed to Guercino.
The Castello Costa-Del Carretto, in Pragliano, also called “Meridiana”, it is presented in the seventeenth century renovation modified during several interventions; the ruins of another castle in the village of Castelli date back to the Middle Ages.
LANDSCAPES AND CULTURE:
The jewel of the crown of this small territory is the Golf Club, very prestigious international circuit perfectly fitted into the landscape.
You can also make easy walks to the old oak tree, declared national monument, near the little church of San Rocco.
The Castello Costa-Del Carretto is the centre of culture, it hosts numerous events: art exhibitions, conferences, concerts, poetry festivals, book presentations, theatrical performances.